Crushed potato salad
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you like potato salad then you have to try these easy crushed potato salad. And forget shop-bought potato salad, homemade is so easy and quick to make, plus it is packed with flavour. This continental crushed potato salad contains new potatoes coated with mayo and sprinkled with crunchy veggies like onions and gherkins. If you are looking for an easy dish to bring to a BBQ then this is it. Impress your friends and family by serving this up alongside grilled meat or fish. The leftovers will even keep for a couple of days in the fridge. But we don't imagine they'll be any left!
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2tbsp capers, chopped if large
- 4-6 small gherkins, sliced
- 2-3tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- Sprigs of mint, to garnish
For the dressing:
- 1tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
Crushing the potatoes whilst they're hot gives them a greater surface area and allows them to soak up more of the dressing.
- Place the potatoes in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 12-15 mins, or until they are just tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the vegetable stock powder with 100ml boiling water, mustard, vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper.
- Drain the potatoes, crush them lightly, then stir in the dressing and leave to cool.
- Once cool, stir in the onion, capers, gherkins, mint and mayonnaise, and serve the salad at room temperature, garnished with the mint sprigs.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.