Spring vegetables and couscous with halloumi
Skill level: Easy peasy
This spring vegetables and couscous with halloumi recipe transforms a handful of simple ingredients into a healthy, hearty salad that the whole family will enjoy. Packed with veggies and jazzed up with fresh additions like pomegranate seeds and shelled pistachios, this makes an easy main course for vegetarians or a delicious side dish for grilled meats or fish.
- 150g couscous
- 150ml hot veg stock
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 250g pack halloumi, cut into 12 slices
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 small head of fennel, core removed
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 500g pack spring greens, washed well and coarse veins cut out
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- About 50g each fresh pomegranate seeds and shelled pistachios
Add dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots to the couscous instead of the pomegranate seeds.
- Put the couscous in a large bowl, stir in the hot stock with the orange zest and juice. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Heat a frying pan, add the slices of halloumi (with no oil) and cook over a moderate heat for a few mins until browned on one side, flip over and cook for 1 minute. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in the pan and stir-fry the finely sliced fennel and spring onions for a couple of mins. Tear in the greens and add the carrot shreds and warm them through for a few mins.
- Mix the pomegranate seeds and pistachios into the couscous and arrange the halloumi on the fried greens. Drizzle with more olive oil.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 300(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.