Spiced aubergine and courgette tabouleh
Skill level: Easy peasy
This bright and beautiful spiced aubergine and courgette tabouleh is a true taste of summer - sprinkled with fresh herbs and healthy vegetables and livened up with zingy chillies, it's a welcome addition to any outdoor buffet or barbecue. It makes a great side dish for meat and fish, although veggie lovers could easily enjoy it as a healthy filling main course too.
- 1 aubergine, trimmed and cut into 8 long slices
- 2 courgettes, trimmed, each cut into 4 slices
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g bulgar wheat
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and diced
- 6 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- About 50g parsley and mint, mixed
- 200g pack feta cheese
You can use fresh chilli rather than the sauce, and toss on some toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts too.
- Heat a griddle pan. Spread the slices of aubergine and courgette out on a tray. Mix the oil and cinnamon in a small bowl and brush this on both sides. Griddle in batches until brown and tender. Keep them warm in the oven.
- Meanwhile, put the bulgar wheat in a pan with 400ml cold water. Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 mins or until the water has been absorbed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice, chilli sauce, spring onions, cucumber and tomato. Chop the parsley and mint and stir it in with plenty of seasoning.
- Arrange the aubergine and courgette slices on a large platter. Spoon the tabouleh over and scatter with feta. Serve with lemon cheeks, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 352(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.