Rose and lavender swirl Swiss meringues
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
These rose and lavender swirl Swiss meringues are one of our all-time favourite sweet treats. They're made with just 4 ingredients, contain no fat and are only 59 calories per serving - and whilst they look impressive, they're really easy to whip up too! With their bright and beautiful colours, they'll look great as part of an afternoon tea spread, stacked up in cellophane bags as a gift, or served with a dollop of cream and a handful of fruit for a stunning but simple dessert.
- 250g egg white
- 500g caster sugar
- Rose water and lavender extract (both alcohol based)
- Pink and purple paste food colouring
- 2 large disposable piping bags
- Star piping tube, eg, Jem 1M
- Baking sheets, lined with silicone liners or parchment
Dissolving the sugar in the egg white before whisking gives a lovely smooth- textured meringue.
- Set the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2.
- Put the egg white in a bowl and add the sugar and a pinch of salt. Place the bowl over a pan of hot water and stir until the sugar dissolves - if you put your fingers in the mixture (taking care it isn't too hot!), you shouldn't be able to feel any grains. Remove the bowl from the pan of water. Whisk until it forms stiff peaks.
- Divide the mixture in half and fold a little rose water into one portion and lavender into the other.
- Fit the piping bag with the star piping tube. Turn back the top of the bag and brush streaks of pink food colouring along the inside of it, from the tube near the top of the bag. Fill with rose-flavoured meringue and pipe swirls on the lined sheet.
- Wash the piping tube, and fit it into the other piping bag, and repeat using purple food colouring and lavender-flavoured meringue.
- Bake the meringues for 45-60 mins, or until they feel crisp and have dried out. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Serve the meringues as they are or sandwiched together with whipped cream.
Looking for food gifts? We've got plenty more to choose from!
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 59(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.