Prep time:plus 1hr chilling time
Total time:plus 1hr chilling time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Coxinhas are chicken drumstick-shaped treats and favourite snack in Brazil. In this recipe, chicken and cheese are encased in a delicious dough which is covered in breadcrumbs then deep fried until they are golden brown and crispy. Equally delicious eaten hot or cold, they could be served as a snack as the Brazilians do or as part of a main meal with salad. This recipe uses chicken thigh meat which is juicy and full of flavour, but you could use chicken breast if you prefer. They take a little while to make but it’s well worth the effort.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 3tsp smokey paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 100g cream cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600ml chicken stock
- 250g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g dry breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Different flavours can be added to the chicken filling - If you like hot spicy dishes try adding chilli flakes to the mixture. A handful of chopped parsley could be added to the breadcrumbs too.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Have ready a roasting tin and a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Put the chicken thighs into the roasting tin and add the paprika, garlic, lime zest and juice and olive oil. Toss everything together so the chicken is evenly coated.
- Cover the tin with foil and roast for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the skin from the chicken then cut the meat into very small pieces and put into a bowl.
- Allow to cool, then stir in the cream cheese, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge.
- For the pastry: Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan then gradually whisk in the flour. Cook on a low heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture forms a firm dough.
- Spoon the dough into a bowl, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
- To shape the Coxinhas: Dust your hands with flour, take golf ball sized pieces of the dough and roll into a smooth ball. Flatten the dough in the palm of your hand – it should be about 5mm thick – then, using your thumbs, hollow out the centre.
- Place a few teaspoons of the chicken filling into the hollow.
- Close the dough around the filling then pinch and shape to make a chicken drumstick shape. Make sure there are no holes in the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- To coat the Coxinhas: Have ready three bowls – put the flour in one, the eggs in another and breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
- Coat each Coxinha in the flour, then dip in the egg and finally coat in breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess.
- Place the Coxinhas on the baking tray and chill in the fridge until firm.
- Heat the oil for deep frying to 160⁰C / 325⁰F.
- Fry the Coxinhas in batches for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, lift out and drain.