Total time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Pimm's and trifle are both truly British institutions - delicious individually, but together, they're truly a dessert force to be reckoned with! This quick and easy Pimm's trifle recipe pairs the classic cocktail with layers of cake, jelly, fruit, custard and cream, for a showstopping adults-only pud that you'll find yourself making year after year - especially since it only takes 30 minutes to prepare!
- 1 jumbo strawberry swiss roll
- 6-8tbsp Pimm's
- 2 large oranges
- 300g strawberries
- 135g pack strawberry flavour jelly
- 500g ready made custard
- 600ml double cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- Sprig of mint, to garnish
- A glass trifle bowl
You can use any flavour jelly you like for this dish - orange or lemon would work well too.
- Slice the swiss roll into approximately 12 slices. Line the sides of the bowl with the cake and use the remaining slices to fill in the base. Depending on the size and shape of your bowl, you may have some slices leftover - these can be eaten later! Drizzle the swiss roll in the trifle bowl with 3tbsp of the Pimm's. Zest the orange and put the peel to one side, then squeeze the juice of 1 one orange over the swiss roll slices.
- Chop 150g of the strawberries and the segments from the remaining orange into small cubes and scatter over the swiss roll slices. Make up the jelly according to packet instructions, substituting 3tbsp of the required water for 3tbsp Pimm's. Pour the jelly over the cake and fruit until completely covered, and chill for at least 2 hours or until the jelly is set.
- When the jelly is set, pour over the custard. Chop the remaining strawberries in half and layer in a circle around the edge of the glass bowl, reserving some for the top of the trifle.
- Add the icing sugar to the double cream and whisk until soft peaks form. You can add the remaining 2tbsp of Pimm's to the cream at this stage if you like. Spoon the whisked cream over the strawberry and custard layer. Decorate the top of the trifle with the remaining strawberries, the reserved orange zest, and a sprig of mint.
With special thanks to Baker and Maker, Sainsbury's and Lakeland