Sticky Pimm's chicken tray bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A dash of Pimm's gives this easy week night chicken dish a fun twist. Whisk together a little Pimm's with orange zest and soy sauce for an instant marinade. The oranges and lemons in the tray bake turn deliciously sweet and jammy once roasted so don't throw them away...
- 800g chicken thighs, skin-on
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 1 orange, cut into chunks
- 1 lemon, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
For the Pimm's glaze:
- 2tbsp Pimm's
- 2 1/2tbsp light soy sauce
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp sunflower oil
If you don't have Pimm's, rum, Bourbon or whisky will work well instead
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Mix the new potato halves together with the sunflower oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper and place in a large roasting tin. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the Pimms, soy sauce, orange zest, crushed garlic and sunflower oil , plus a little salt and black pepper, to make a thick glaze.
- Take the roasting tray out of the oven and add the orange and lemon chunks, tossing with the potatoes. Arrange the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the roasting tin on top of the potatoes. Usea pastry brush to brush a generous coating of the glaze onto each chicken piece, turning to coat both sides.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, and the potatoes are golden and tender.
- Serve with green beans, mint and the sauce from the pan.
With special thanks to Baker and Maker, Sainsbury's and Lakeland