Tear and share bread
Total time:plus proving
Skill level: Bit of effort
This easy-to-make tear and share bread is full of all of the flavours of Italy - sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, olive and cheese nestle in the swirls of the dough for a truly delicious family-style loaf. We've cut down the ingredients list by using a packet of white bread mix, but you could make a homemade dough if you prefer.
IngredientsFor the dough:
- 500g packet white bread mix
- 2tbsp olive oil
For the filling:
- 140g carton green pesto
- 1/2 x 250g packet grated mozzarella
- 50g Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
- 50g black olives, sliced
- 50g green olives, sliced
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained weight, chopped
You will need:
- Baking sheet, buttered
Once cold, these rolls can be packed in a freezer bag. Allow to defrost, then warm through in a hot oven for a few mins and serve.
- Make up the dough mix, following the directions on the pack and adding the olive oil, along with the recommended amount of water. Knead the dough for 5-10 mins until it's elastic.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle about 25 x 35cm (10 x 14in) on a lightly floured surface.
- Leaving one of the long edges clear, spread the pesto over the dough. Scatter over the cheeses, olive and sun-dried tomato. Brush water along the clear edge, and then roll up the dough towards the clear edge, pressing well over the join.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces. Place them on their sides, so you can see the spiral shapes and place them fairly close together on the baking sheet, in a rectangle of 4 x 3 rows.
- Cover the bread with a piece of oiled cling film or a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 30 mins-1 hour or until doubled in size and the rolls have joined together.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Remove the cling film or towel from the dough. When the oven is hot, place the baking sheet in the centre and bake the dough for 20-30 mins, or until it's an even golden colour and firm to the touch. Slide on to a wire rack to cool slightly. The rolls are best served warm on the day of making.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 294(kcal)
- Fat 15.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.