Strawberry tarte tatins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Can you believe you only need 5 ingredients to make these beautiful strawberry tarte tatins? These sweet fruit tarts would be a great addition to any summer dinner menu or afternoon tea stand - serve them with a generous dollop of creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream for a truly special dessert that is ready in less than an hour.
- 4tbsp caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out (or 1/2tsp vanilla extract)
- 30g butter
- 16 fairly large strawberries, hulled
- 200g puff pasty
- Tray of 4 x Yorkshire pud tins
If you don’t have Yorkshire pud tins, make a large tart in 20-23cm (8-9in) shallow cake tin (not loose-based).
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°C/Gas Mark 7. Heat the sugar with the vanilla seeds in a small non-stick pan over a medium heat and stir occasionally until the sugar dissolves and then caramelises. Quickly pour into the tins. Add a small knob of butter to each onen then arrange halved strawberries, cut side up, in a floral patter on the caramel.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 20 x 20cm (8 x 8 in) square. Cut out 4 x 10cm (4in) rounds and place on top of the fruit in the tins. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pastry is well risen and golden. Leave for 10 mins, then slide a knife around the edges and turn them out on to paper. Serve warm on plated with crème fraiche.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 316(kcal)
- Fat 18.0g
- Saturates 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.