Gluten-free lemon polenta cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 250g ground almonds
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp milk
- 125g fine polenta
- 11/2 level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 6tbsp honey
- Icing sugar
- 150-170g punnet raspberries
- 180-200g punnet blueberries
- Sprigs of mint, for decoration
- 23cm (9in) cake tin, greased with butter and base lined with baking parchment
You could make this cake using other citrus fruits such as limes or oranges too.
- Set the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Beat the butter until soft and pale. Add the sugar and beat until light and creamy. Whisk in the egg, a little at a time. Gently fold in the almonds, vanilla, lemon rind and juice, milk, polenta and baking powder. Pour the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for 50 mins-1hr, or until a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake. If the cake is getting too dark, cover the top with foil after 30 mins. Remove from the oven and leave it in the tin.
- To make the syrup, place the lemon juice and honey in a pan and stir in the icing sugar until it has dissolved. Spoon half the syrup over the cake while the cake and syrup are hot. Arrange the fruit on top. Re-warm the syrup and drizzle on top and decorate with sprigs of mint.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 558(kcal)
- Fat 37.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.