Gluten-free scoop scones
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
It can be tricky to roll out mixtures made from gluten-free flour as they can be crumbly, so we made a softer scone mixture which can be portioned using an ice cream scoop. These delicious gluten-free scoop scones are perfect for everything from bake sales to afternoon tea, and can be whipped up in less than an hour - jam and cream at the ready!
- 250g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 50g butter
- 1 level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 150ml milk
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- 1-2tbsp granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Jam and clotted cream, to serve
You will need:
- Ice-cream scoop
- Baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
These scones are best eaten on the day they’re made, as they go dry overnight; if not, the next best thing is to freeze them as above.
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the baking powder and sugar.
- Lightly beat together the egg and milk. Add this to the flour mixture and beat to give a smooth consistency.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to scoop 9 mounds of the mixture on to the lined baking sheet. Brush egg over the top of each and then sprinkle over some granulated sugar.
- Bake the scones in the centre of the oven for 15-18 mins or until they are a light-golden colour. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and slide the scones on to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve the scones warm or cold, with jam and cream. The scones may be wrapped in a freezer bag and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the scones to defrost for a few hours and then refresh them in a hot oven before serving them.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 183(kcal)
- Fat 6.0g
- Saturates 3.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.