Gluten-free lemon shortbread rounds
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Beautifully quick and simple to make, these gluten-free lemon shortbread rounds have a zingy, buttery flavour and a lovely crumbly texture. Great as a gift for a gluten-free friend or relative, they look lovely stacked up and tied with a ribbon or packaged in a cellophane bag. If you're feeling really creative, have a go at decorating them with a citrusy icing too.
- 250g gluten-free flour, eg, Doves Farm
- Pinch of salt
- 150g butter
- 90g caster sugar
- Zested rind of 1 lemon
You will need:
- Baking sheet, lined with baking parchment
For extra sweet shortbread, try removing the lemon zest and adding a handful of your favourite chocolate chips.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Tip the flour and salt into a bowl and rub the butter into them. Stir in the sugar and lemon rind. Mix the ingredients until they start to bind together to form a dough.
- Shape the dough into a cylinder shape, about 6-7cm in diameter, and cut into rounds about 1cm thick. Place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 mins, or until they start to turn lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave them to cool on the baking sheet for a few mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 210(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 7.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.