Gluten-free Victoria sponge
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy gluten-free Victoria sponge recipe is a real winner. Going gluten-free can be tricky, but with recipes like this gluten-free Victoria sponge, you needn't miss out on your favourites. This light and airy sponge is perfect alongside your afternoon cuppa - we like it filled with raspberry jam, but you can choose whichever flavour you like best. This recipe will take 50 mins to make and serves 8 people. This gluten-free version takes delicious - you won't believe that it's gluten-free! Once you've mastered this gluten favourite you'll want to make it time and time again.
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging
- 175g self-raising gluten-free flour
- 3 large eggs
- 75ml milk
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 150ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
- 3-4tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2x20cm (8in) round sandwich tins, buttered and base lined
The unfilled cooled cake may be wrapped in freezer bags and frozen for up to 1 month. Allow the cakes to defrost before filling with cream and jam.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Tip the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth. Divide the mixture between the sandwich tins and spread out.
- Bake the sponges for 20-25 mins, until they've risen and feel springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tins for about 5 mins, then transfer them to a wire rack to cook completely.
- Fill with the cream and jam, and then dredge the top with caster sugar before serving.
Fancy making a classic Victoria sponge? Try our easy Victoria sponge recipe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 446(kcal)
- Fat 29.0g
- Saturates 17.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.