Puerto Rican empanadas
Skill level: Bit of effort
These Puerto Rican empanadas are like an exotic take on the UK's classic favourite, the pasty. Minced beef, assorted vegetables and of course, a hint of spicy chilli, are wrapped in a simple dough and deep fried into a parcel that's perfect for lunches, picnics or a decadent afternoon snack. The dough is really versatile, so once you've mastered these you can try adapting the filling to suit your favourite flavours.
IngredientsFor the dough:
- 450g plain flour
- 1/2tsp each baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
- 4tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the filling:
- 250g minced beef
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow or green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1/4 jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
- 12 stoned green olives
For sweet empanadas replace the savoury filling with your favourite chocolate and fruit and serve with ice cream.
- To make the filling, brown the beef in a hot frying pan. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the olives, and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Season well. Cool.
- To make the dough, mix the dry ingredients and 1tsp salt in a large bowl, add the oil and about 250ml water. Mix in well with a knife, then knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Put in a polybag for 15 mins.
- Divide the dough into 12 and stretch each piece into a 10cm round. Put a good tbsp of filling on one side, add an olive, then fold the dough over to make a half-moon shape. Press a fork round the edges to seal them. Heat the oil to 190°C. Deep-fry the pies for 5-6 mins, turning them. Drain on kitchen paper.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 214(kcal)
- Fat 12.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.