Crushed broad bean feta and basil dip
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make the most of broad beans whilst they're in season with this crushed broad bean feta and basil dip. Perfect spread on griddled ciabatta or served with a selection of crunchy vegetables, this super simple recipe can be on the table in just 10 minutes - great for unexpected guests or an easy laid-back lunch.
- 400g podded broad beans
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 200g pack feta cheese
- 2tbsp white balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
- 4tbsp good olive oil
- 10-15g basil leaves (or mint leaves)
- 1 ciabatta loaf, baby carrots, sugar-snap peas and radishes
1kg bean pods will yield about 400g beans. It may seem a bit tedious peeling off the skins, so you donít have to, but they do look brighter and fresher if you do.
- Cook the beans in boiling water for 3-5 mins or until tender. Drain and cool under running water. Peel off the skins and put the beans in a large bowl with the garlic and squash them roughly with a potato masher.
- Crumble in the feta, add the vinegar, olive oil and seasoning and roughly mix. Stir in shredded or torn basil or mint leaves.
- Serve, within a few hours of making, with griddled ciabatta slices, carrots, sugar-snap peas and radishes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 146(kcal)
- Fat 11.0g
- Saturates 4.4g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.