Tarragon chicken with braised green beans
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Braising green beans is a great way to help them retain their nutrients and get the most out of their fresh, hearty flavour. This tarragon chicken with braised green beans is a great example of how delicious this can be - with juicy chicken and tender vegetables, it's a healthy, filling meal that's simple enough to be a midweek dinner, but impressive enough to serve to guests.
- 50g butter
- 1tbsp fresh chopped tarragon leaves
- 2tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 x 250-275g chicken breasts, skin on with part wing bone
- 150g round green beans, tailed
- 4 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 200ml hot chicken stock
Green bean season runs from May to September, so keep your eyes peeled for special offers in the supermarket during these times.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put a small roasting tin in the oven to heat up. Soften the butter in a small bowl, then mix in the tarragon, lemon zest and seasoning. Ease your fingers under the skin of the chicken and push the flavoured butter underneath. Season the skin.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Put the chicken in the pan, skin-side down, and cook for 4 mins. Turn it over and cook for another 3-4 mins.
- Put the beans and thyme into the warm roasting tin and pour in the stock. Place the chicken breasts on top, skin-side up and pour over the buttery juices. Bake for about 15 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the beans are tender.
- To serve, arrange the beans in 2 hot, shallow bowls with the chicken on top. Pour some of the hot stock into the bowls.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 495(kcal)
- Fat 26.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.