Runner bean and tenderstem broccoli salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make salad feel like a treat, not a chore with this delicious runner bean and tenderstem broccoli salad. Fresh veggies are generously sprinkled with prosciutto and crispy shallots for a quick, flavourful side dish that would pair perfectly with a variety of meats or fish. For a vegetarian option, omit the prosciutto and add boiled eggs or cubes of your favourite cheese.
- 150g tenderstem broccoli
- 300g runner beans, stringed and shredded
- 70g pack prosciutto (7-8 thin slices)
- 5tbsp olive oil
- 1 banana shallot or 2 small shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2tsp coarse-grain mustard
- 1-2tbsp balsamic or sherry vinegar
If you can't get hold of prosciutto you could use bacon lardons instead.
- Add the broccoli to a large pan of boiling water and cook for 2-3 mins. Take out with a draining spoon, cool under running water. Bring the water back to the boil, add the beans and cook for 1-2 mins, then drain and cool under running water. Dry the veg on a tea towel or kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan and when hot, tear in pieces of prosciutto and cook them for a few mins, in 2 batches, until starting to crisp. Take out and set aside.
- Add 1tbsp oil to the pan with the shallot, cook for about 5 mins until lightly browned and crispy. Whisk the mustard, vinegar and the rest of the oil, in a large bowl, to make a dressing. Add the broccoli and coat it in the dressing, then arrange it on a platter. Add the beans, coat in dressing and put on top of the broccoli.
- Sprinkle with the crispy shallot and prosciutto and any leftover dressing. Season well with salt and ground black pepper.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 200(kcal)
- Fat 17.0g
- Saturates 3.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.