Bengal butternut squash and chickpea with naan
Skill level: Easy peasy
An authentic taste of Bengal on your table in less than an hour? It can be done! This easy recipe pairs sweet butternut squash and chickpea with naan and falafel for a hearty vegetarian meal that's packed full of flavour. If you're eating this with the kids you can tone down the spices and serve chillies on the side for more adventurous diners to add to taste.
- 1 pack Cauldron Falafels
- 3tbsp of oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½tsp turmeric
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp garam masala
- 2tsp fresh root ginger
- 300g butternut squash, small dice
- 200mls boiling water
- 200g chick peas, drained & rinsed
- 1tsp black onion seeds
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
You could also try this recipe with sweet potato in place of the butternut squash.
- Pre heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, chilli & onion and fry for 4 minutes, add the turmeric, ground cumin, coriander, garam masala and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Now add the butternut squash and water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 until the butternut squash is tender, add the onion seeds.
- Place the chick peas in a food blender, along with one third of the butternut squash mixture and blend to a paste.
- Remove the bay leaf and place into a mixing bowl fold in the chick pea paste, season to taste.
- Serve with warm Cauldron Falafels and naan bread.