Meatballs with crushed new potatoes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
IngredientsFor the meatballs:
- 250g minced pork
- 75g dried white breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1-2tbsp freshly chopped sage
For the sauce:
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 150ml vegetable or ham stock
For the crushed potatoes:
- 500-750g new potatoes
- 1-2tbsp fat-free fromage frais
- Basil leaves, for garnish
The meatballs in sauce can be packed into a suitable container and frozen once cold. Allow to defrost before reheating. The potato isn’t suitable for freezing.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- To make the meatballs, tip all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together well, seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 9-12 and shape into balls and place in an ovenproof dish.
- To make the sauce, pour the canned tomatoes into a saucepan and add the onion. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for a further 4-5 mins.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and cover the dish. Bake in the oven for 20 mins, then uncover the dish, stir the meatballs and cook, uncovered, for a further 10-15 mins, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Bring the new potatoes to the boil in water and cook for about 15 mins, until they are just tender. Drain well and crush lightly. Stir in the fromage frais. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some potato on to plates and top the meatballs. Garnish with basil leaves before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 326(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.