Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Earthy beetroot and spicy horseradish work perfectly with the creaminess of the rice in this beetroot risotto with horseradish recipe. All of the ingredients keep well in the fridge or cupboard, so you can have them on standby for a quick vegetarian dinner whenever the occasion arises. Best of all, this dish is low in calories and fat, so you can enjoy it guilt-free!
- 1ltr vegetable stock
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 250g risotto rice
- 250g cooked beetroot, cubed
- 1-2tbsp horseradish sauce
- Rocket, to serve
This risotto would be great with some leftover Sunday roast beef on the side.
- Pour the stock into a pan, add the onion and garlic and bring to the boil. Add the rice and beetroot to the pan, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 mins, stirring regularly until the rice is just cooked and the onion is tender. If the mixture gets too dry, add a little boiling water.
- Stir in the horseradish sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with some rocket.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 285(kcal)
- Fat 1.5g
- Saturates 0.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.