Jumbo Tex-Mex sausage roll
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This jumbo Tex-Mex sausage roll is the perfect fusion of British and Mexican food! The rich, flaky puff pastry is stuffed with sausage meat and then spiced up with kidney beans, chilli and coriander for a delicious twist on a summer picnic classic. If you've got any leftovers, the remaining slices are great served cold in lunchboxes.
- 400g pack sausages, skinned
- 75g dried white breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1tbsp chipotle paste
- 2-3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
This sausage roll can be served hot, but for a picnic, allow to cool completely before transporting it in a plastic container.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Tip sausage meat into a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, onion, chilli, chipotle paste and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Add the kidney beans and mix them in, taking care not to break them down too much.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and cut it lengthways, not quite in half, so one section is wider than the other.
- Place the narrower piece of pastry on the lined baking sheet and brush water all around the edge. Place the sausage-meat filling on top, pressing it to give a smooth, even shape, leaving a small rim of uncovered pastry all the way around the edge.
- Take the other pastry sheet and fold it loosely in half. Make lots of cuts, about 1cm apart, all down the folded edge, leaving a slightly wider section at either end. Open the pastry out and place over the sausage-meat filling. Press the edges down well. Trim them and make small cuts into the edge with a knife to create a pattern.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, to glaze. Bake the sausage roll for 30-40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Remove it from the oven and slide on to a wire rack.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 352(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.