How to make vanilla custard
Makes: 1 pint
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Learn how to make vanilla custard with our quick and easy video recipe that shows how to make creamy flavoured custard in just 15 minutes. This simple recipes makes perfect custard every time. Serve your custard drizzled over crumble or puddings. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. This recipes makes 1 pint of custard which is ideal for sharing. Watch our easy to follow recipe to make the perfect custard every time. It takes only 4 ingredients to make this classic!
- 1 vanilla pod
- 570ml whole milk and double cream (half and half, or use all milk)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- Split the vanilla pod in half and add to a saucepan with the milk and cream. Warm until almost at boiling point.
- In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Remove the vanilla pod, then briskly whisk the warm milk and cream into the egg yolks and sugar.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thickened (this will take around 5 minutes). It’s ready once the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon. Serve immediately.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.