Cucumber and tomato pasta salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make a cheap cucumber and tomato pasta salad like our mummy blogger Anneliese, who says: 'We eat a lot of pasta in our house, so thank goodness you can buy it at a very reasonable price. We tend to buy a big bag at the beginning of the month and eat it in a variety of meals. Sometimes it makes a nice change to have a simple pasta salad for lunch or perhaps for an evening meal during the warm summer months. I often make a big batch before I head up to bed. I then separate it out, so that there is some for my husband to take to work, a helping for my son's lunchbox and enough for me and my toddler to eat at home. I just have to remember to take them out of the fridge in the morning!'
- 250g pasta, such as penne
- 2 eggs
- Half a cucumber, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4tbsp mayonnaise
Try adding other veggies to the mix like red peppers, celery, red onion. Serve on a bed of salad leaves for an extra healthy spin
- First of all place your pasta and eggs in a large saucepan and cover in water from the tap. This means you can cook your pasta and eggs together and save on a bit on your gas or electricity bill!
- Place the saucepan on the hob over a moderate heat and bring to a rolling boil. Follow the instructions on the packet of pasta to predict cooking time but both the pasta and eggs should be cooked in about 10 minutes.
- Once both ingredients are cooked through, it's time to drain the pasta and eggs into a colander, then pour over some cold water to cool things down. The cold water will help stop the pasta sticking together. Tip the cold pasta back into the saucepan.
- When the eggs are cool enough to touch, peel away the shell then slice into chunks and add to the pasta in the pan.
- Now add the chopped cucumber and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Measure in the mayonnaise and give the mixture a good stir. Tuck in straight away or store in the fridge until ready to serve.