Spicy mixed bean tortillas
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Make these spicy mixed bean tortillas if you're on a budget like our mummy blogger Anneliese, who says: 'Evening meals can easily become repetitive, so I am always trying to think of new ideas to keep the kids interested. Wraps are a big hit in our house so I set about incorporating them into a meal. The kidney beans and mixed beans are a great source of protein and are very good value. This really is a quick dinner to put together so is perfect for a busy weekday when time is limited.'
- 1tbsp oil for cooking and extra for greasing
- 8 garlic and coriander tortilla wraps, or plain if preferred
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can of mixed beans in a mild chilli sauce
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
If you don't have wraps you could always serve this spicy bean mix with rice instead like a veggie chilli
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Use a little oil to grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to fry the diced onion and carrot gently. Cook over a moderate heat for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Don't forget to give it a stir from time to time!
- Now add your can of chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and mixed beans to the frying pan and give all the ingredients a good mix. Continue to cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Divide half the grated cheese between each of the eight wraps, and then divide the bean mixture between them.
- When the wraps are filled they are ready to be rolled up and placed in to the ovenproof dish, seam side down.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the wraps and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.