Black cherry and amaretto pavlova
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Bit of effort
IngredientsFor the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 level tsp cornflour
- 1tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1tbsp cocoa, sifted
For the filling:
- 390g jar cherries in kirsch (we like Opies)
- 450ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-4tbsp amaretto (optional)
- 25g amaretti biscuits, lightly crushed
Use a glass or stainless steel bowl to make your meringue - tiny specks of dirt can cling to plastic and affect the outcome of your pavlova.
- To make this pavlova recipe, heat the oven to 130įC/Gas Mark 1. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment. In a large, clean bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand-held electric whisk until stiff. Gradually whisk in caster sugar until glossy and the mixture forms stiff peaks, then whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla. Sprinkle cocoa over then fold once or twice so it is roughly marbled.
- Spoon the meringue onto the lined baking tray, spreading it out using the back of the spoon to make a 25cm circle of meringue with a slight lip around the edge. Bake for 1 hr 30 mins, then turn off the oven and leave in there to cool completely. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain the cherries in a sieve over a saucepan. Boil the syrup until reduced to about 4tbsp, then allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, whisk the cream and icing sugar together with an electric hand-held whisk until thick. Add the amaretto, if using, and whisk briefly until softly whipped; chill until required. Spoon into the centre of the meringue, scatter over the cherries, drizzle with the syrup, then sprinkle with the amaretti biscuits.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 492(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.