Creamy cauliflower soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our creamy cauliflower soup recipe is a thick, rich broth topped with crispy bacon and delicious cheesy croutons. It's easy to make and tastes delicious too. This recipe serves 6 people and will take around 1hr to prepare and cook - it's well worth the wait! This recipe is a great way of using up leftover cauliflower or cauliflower that will soon to be going out of date. This soup is best stored in the fridge in an airtight container. It can be frozen but must be defrosted thoroughly in the fridge overnight. Reheat until piping hot before serving.
- 50g butter
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1kg cauliflower florets
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- 500ml whole milk
- Good grating fresh nutmeg
- 100ml cream (optional)
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, grilled
- 100g creme fraiche
- 1tbsp snipped chives
To make cheesy croutons: Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Mix 150g crustless white bread, cubed, with 40g melted butter and 40g finely grated Parmesan cheese. Season and spread out on a lined baking tray. Bake for 5-10 mins until deep golden. Remove and leave to cool.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and celery, and cook gently over a low-medium heat until soft. Add the cauliflower, bay leaves, stock, milk and nutmeg, and season. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently, covered, for 20 mins, until the cauliflower is very tender. Add the cream and whizz with a hand-held blender until very smooth.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, scatter with the cheesy croutons (see tip), add a rasher of bacon, broken into shards, then top with a spoonful of crème fraiche mixed with chives.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 400(kcal)
- Fat 32.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.