Chocolate cake with tiramisu cream
- Cocoa, for dusting
- 200g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 135g butter, cubed
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 150g ground almonds
- 2tbsp amaretto or brandy
- 110g caster sugar
For the filling:
- 2tbsp amaretto
- 1-2tsp coffee powder
- 250g mascarpone
- 75g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
This cake can chill in the fridge for up to 24 hrs, so it's a great make-ahead option when you're feeding a crowd.
- Heat oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line the base and sides of two 20cm cake tins with baking parchment, grease, then dust with cocoa powder.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Cool for 5 mins, then stir in the egg yolks, ground almonds and amaretto or brandy. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking after each addition. Fold into the chocolate mixture, then divide between the two tins and smooth.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and just firm to the touch. Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Don’t worry if the surfaces crack a little.
- To make the filling, mix amaretto and coffee in a bowl until dissolved, add mascarpone and icing sugar and whisk until thick. Spoon onto one of the cakes, then top with the second. Cut out a paper stencil using a cookie cutter and a scalpel, then put on top of the cake. Dust with icing sugar and remove. Chill until ready to serve, and remove from the fridge 30 mins before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
- Fat 0.0g
- Saturates 0.0g
- Sugars 0.0g
- Salt 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.