Snowy chocolate yule log
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This beautiful snowy chocolate yule log is a delicious treat the whole family will love come Christmas time. Made with chocolate cream rolled in a soft sponge covered with a cheat's marshmallow frosting, this tasty bake will serve between 8 to 10 people, so it's perfect if you're having friends or family around for Christmas celebrations. To make this festive cake, you'll need around 30 mins to prep, and an extra 15 mins to let it bake. The best part about this special yule log is that the filling is made with Marshmallow Fluff, which makes it even more indulgent - yum!
IngredientsTo make this yule log recipe
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 55g plain flour
- 55g ground almonds
- ½tsp baking powder
For the filling:
- 150ml double cream
- 200g chocolate, melted
- 2tbsp liqueur (pick your favourite)
- 2tsp vanilla paste
- 125g Marshmallow Fluff
- 150g full-fat cream cheese
- Cocoa, to dust
You can find Marshmallow Fluff in major supermarkets, or online at amazon.co.uk – add a few jars to your Christmas orders, as it makes a great gift for a sweet tooth.
- Heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20x30cm Swiss roll tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar with an electric hand whisk for 3-4 mins, until thick and pale – it should leave a trail when the beaters are lifted from the mix. Sift in the flour, almonds and baking powder, then fold in gently. Spoon into the tin, smoothing the surface. Bake for 12-15 mins, until golden and slightly springy to the touch. Cover with a tea towel and leave to cool.
- Whip cream to soft peaks, add melted chocolate, booze and 1tsp vanilla and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the Marshmallow Fluff, cream cheese and rest of vanilla.
- Turn the cake out onto a large sheet of baking paper, dusted with icing sugar, peel off the cooking paper. Spread with the chocolate cream, leaving a 3cm margin along one of the short edges, then roll up gently from the opposite edge, using the baking paper to help you. Transfer to a serving plate. Dollop over the cream cheese frosting, smooth with a knife then use to create a bark effect on the surface. Dust with a little cocoa powder and serve, or chill for up to 24 hrs, loosely covered.