Boozy Christmas cupcakes
Total time:plus overnight soaking
Skill level: Easy peasy
Boozy Christmas cupcakes have a rich fruitcake base is topped with a layer of sweet, sticky marzipan. Unleash your creativity with cute Christmas icing designs on the top. Just make sure you keep them out of reach from the kids, these ones are for grown-ups only! Mix up your traditional Christmas cake recipe this year for these delicious cupcakes and you’ll not be disappointed – this recipe makes 12, so there will be plenty to go round too. They’d also make a great gift or addition to a food hamper if you’re looking for something a little different this year.
- 375g mixed fruit – dried cranberries, raisins, chopped apricots, dates
- 5tbsp brandy, whisky or rum
- 80g butter
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 2 medium free range eggs
- zest 1 orange
- ½tsp mixed spice
- 90g plain flour
- ½tsp baking powder
- 200g marzipan
- Apricot glaze (or honey), to brush
- Writing icing, to decorate
Store these cakes in an airtight container, and use within a month. If storing for longer than a few days, return to the silicon cases to prevent drying out.
- To make this cupcake recipe, mix fruit and alcohol, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Heat oven to 150°C/gas 2. Whisk butter until pale, add sugar and beat again. Mix in the fruit, eggs, zest and spice. Sift in the flour and baking powder, stir well.
- Spoon into 12 silicon cupcake/muffin moulds or a muffin tin double lined with thick cupcake cases. Bake for about 45 mins, until just firm and slightly springy to the touch. A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before removing from silicon cases. Roll out marzipan to the thickness of a £1 coin, cut out 12 circles, each slighly smaller than the cake. Brush each cake with glaze or honey, then add a marzipan circle. Using writing icing, draw a freehand holly leaf, or other festive pic on top – have a practise run on a plate first - and serve.