Classic figgy pudding with amaretto butter
Total time:plus soaking
Skill level: Bit of effort
Christmas just isn't Christmas without a figgy pudding, and this classic figgy pudding with amaretto butter is the best recipe we've ever tried. Sweet, sticky, and rich, with a generous glug of amaretto, this pud is a delicious end to your Christmas meal, or a great treat to serve to friends after a night of carol singing
- 250g sultanas
- 250g dried figs, chopped
- 250g dried apricots, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100ml amaretto
- 3 medium eggs
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 75g softened butter, plus extra to grease
- 75g toasted flaked almonds
- 50g self-raising flour
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 150g softened butter
- 4tbsp amaretto
- 4tbsp icing sugar
- Edible gold stars and sparklers, to decorate
If reheating the pudding, steam for 1 hr 30 mins until a skewer inserted comes out piping hot.
- In a food container, mix dried fruit, citrus zest and juices and amaretto. Soak overnight or up to 2 days.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and butter, then stir in the fruit, almonds, flour, breadcrumbs and spices. Spoon into a greased 2-pint basin. Cover with a sheet of pleated baking paper, then a sheet of foil. Tie round the rim with soaked string, then attach a second length to form a handle.
- Sit an upturned saucer in a large saucepan and put the pudding on top. Pour in boiling water to halfway up the basin. Cover and simmer very gently for 5 hrs, topping up with boiling water if necessary. Serve immediately or cool and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Whisk the butter, amaretto and sugar until light. Chill until ready to use. Sprinkle with gold stars, dollop a spoonful of amaretto butter on the pud and light the sparklers to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 933(kcal)
- Fat 42.0g
- Saturates 21.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.