Beetroot blinis with garlicky mushrooms
Total time:plus resting
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
IngredientsFor the blinis:
- 150g buckwheat flour
- 7g sachet fast-action yeast
- 250ml milk, warmed to blood temperature
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 25g butter, melted, for frying
For the topping:
- 150g vacuum-packed beetroot
- 3tbsp creme fraiche
- 125g ricotta
- Small bunch dill, half roughly chopped
- 40g butter
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
You can make the blinis in advance - just warm them for a few secs in a microwave before assembling.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the blini ingredients until smooth. Leave in a warm place for 30 mins until frothy. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, brush with the melted butter and drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the pan, spacing 5cm apart, and cook for about 1 1/2 mins, before turning and cooking for another minute. Cook in batches until the batter has been used.
- In a food processor, whizz beetroot, creme fraiche and ricotta until coarse. Season well, stir in the chopped dill and chill until required.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, add mushrooms and garlic and fry until deep golden.
- To serve, put the blinis on a platter, spread with a teaspoonful of beetroot mix, add a few mushrooms and garnish with a small sprig of dill.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 57(kcal)
- Fat 3.5g
- Saturates 2.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.