Vegetarian sausage rolls
Total time:plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Vegetarian sausage rolls are made with flaky pastry stuffed with cheese, onion, potato and mushrooms for a delicious vegetarian party food treat. These delicious veggie sausage rolls are really easy to make taking just 40 mins in total (plus chilling time) to whip up. You can make a batch of 36 sausage rolls in one go making them ideal for parties or kids packed lunch boxes if you're feeding a lot in one go. These vegetarian sausage rolls are infused with Cheddar and Parmesan so are packed full of flavour. We'd recommend serving with fresh salad or picnic food as a lunch time snack.
- 325g plain flour
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500g potato
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 300g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 150g strong Cheddar, grated
- 50g Parmesan, or vegetarian Italian hard cheese, finely grated
- 1tbsp thyme
- 1-2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Good pinch cayenne pepper
- 1tbsp sesame or poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
These cheesy rolls are delicious served with a chunky tomato chutney.
- For the pastry, sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Coarsely grate over the cold butter and using a knife, mix into the flour until crumbly. Add the beaten egg and then enough water to form a dough that leaves the bowl clean. Cover with cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Microwave the potatoes on a high heat for 10 mins then set aside. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 5 mins. Add the mushroom and cook for a further 5 mins until quite dry.
- Spoon out the inside of the potato and transfer to a bowl. Mash, season and stir through the mushroom mixture, cheese, thyme, mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Cut the pastry in half, roll out on a floured surface to form a long rectangle, about 16cmx40cm. Spoon half the filling along the length of the pastry strip. Brush one edge with beaten egg then fold the pastry over and seal carefully. Cut the pastry rolls into about 15-18 pieces and place seal down onto lightly greased baking trays. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush each with egg and scatter with the seeds and bake for 20-25 mins.