Slimming World's chilli with rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This mouth-watering chilli with rice recipe by Slimming World is so simple to make and tastes delicious too. It's well worth the wait! The mince sauce in this recipe is made simply with chopped tomatoes, beef mince and mixed herbs and would works wonders as the base of spag Bol too. This recipe takes around 1hr and 30 mins to prepare and cook. Serving 4 people, this recipe is the perfect mid-week meal the whole family can enjoy together. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Make sure you reheat the chilli thoroughly before serving, and be especially careful with the rice. How about swapping the rice for potato wedges, tortilla wraps or even tortilla chips.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 250g closed-cap mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1.15kg essential mince sauce (see below)
- 410g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
For the mince sauce:
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500g extra-lean minced beef
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g passata
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g dried long-grain rice
- A small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 150g fat-free natural yoghurt, sprinkled with smoked paprika
You could swap the minced beef in this recipe for Quorn for a veggie version
- Place a medium pan sprayed with low-calorie cooking spray over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occassionally.
- Add the minced beef and turn the heat up to medium. Cook for 5 minutes, or until browned all over, stirring and breaking up any lumps.
- Stir in the tomatoes and passata, then crumble in the stock cube. Add the herbs, season and mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leave to one side.
For the chilli:
- Place a medium pan sprayed with low-calorie cooking spray over a low heat. Add the pepper and mushrooms and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and chilli and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the allspice, cumin and paprika, stir fry for 1 minute, then mix in the mince sauce and kidney beans. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes until piping hot, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions, drain and stir in the coriander.
- Divide the chilli and rice between 4 shallow bowls. Top with a spoonful of the yoghurt and serve.
Fancy making a traditional chilli con carne? Try our classic chilli con carne recipe
For more delicious Slimming World recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website