Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Red cabbage will make the perfect side dish for your roast dinner or Christmas dinner. Not only does this dish look good thanks to the vibrant colours, it taste delicious infused with cinnamon, cloves and freshly ground ginger to give it a warming, fragrant finish. Using salty butter, tangy vinegar and a little brown sugar ensures the ideal balance of sweet and sour, which cuts through rich meat really well. Some of our favourite pairings are game, like goose, pheasant or venison but it goes equally well with a roast chicken come Sunday. In fact, there are very few things it doesn't go well with. Another classic is bangers and mash - it'll posh them up no end and give you a good does of veggies on the side to help keep your feeling tip top during the winter months. With lots of Vitmains C and K red cabbage is a underappreciated veggie we think! Give this red cabbage recipe a go and you won't be disappointed, trust us.
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- 50g butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100ml port, or fruity red wine
Leave the dish to sit before serving so the earthy cabbage can be infused further by the aromatic spices
- Layer everything up in a lidded casserole, sprinkling with the garlic, ginger, spices, butter, sugar and salt as you go. Pour in the liquid.
- Put the lid on, bring up to a boil, then reduce heat and slowly simmer for 1 hr, stirring every so often.
More red cabbage recipes!