Chinese New Year chicken
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g mixed oyster and shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 12 medium bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 large mild red chilli, sliced
- 1tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 150ml Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 6tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tsp cornflour, mixed with 4tbsp cold water
- 1 tin water chestnuts, drained
- 2 bunches spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths, plus extra to serve
- 2x250g-300g packs egg noodles
- 40g cashew nuts, toasted and roughly crushed
You could try this recipe using pork instead
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large casserole dish, add half the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 5 mins, until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat with a further 1tbsp oil and the remaining mushrooms. Add 1tbsp oil to the pan and brown half the chicken, transfer to a separate plate, and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken. Add chilli and peppercorns and cook for 1 min.
- Return chicken to the pan, pour in the wine, oyster sauce and 100ml water. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook over a very low heat for 30 mins.
- Add the cornflour mixture and stir well, then add the cooked mushrooms, water chestnuts, spring onions, stir through and cook for a further 15 mins, uncovered. Stir the noodles through to heat for the final 5 mins.
- Serve scattered with nuts and finely sliced spring onions.