Rhubarb and custard profiterole stack
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 85g butter
- 100g plain flour, sifted
- 3 large free range eggs
- 300ml whole milk
- 75g caster sugar
- 4tbsp cornflour
- 3 egg yolks
- 150ml double cream plus 4tbsp
- 200g rhubarb, cut into 4cm lengths
- 150g rhubarb jam
- 100g white chocolate
- 4tbsp double cream
If you're thinking of stacking your profiteroles we'd recommend sticking them together with white chocolate to keep them in place, especially if its a centre piece
- Heat oven to 220C/gas 7. Line 2 baking trays with non stick baking parchment . Heat butter with 200ml water in a medium pan and bring to the boil. Turn off heat and beat in the flour (add all at once) and a pinch of salt until thick and smooth. Sit the pan base in cold water and leave until the dough is cool; gradually beat in the eggs.
- Spoon mixture into a food bag, tie, expelling any air, then snip off a small corner. Pipe 3cm dollops of batter onto the baking trays, spacing them well apart (makes about 16). Dip your finger in water and smooth over any pointy peaks on the batter. Bake for 20-25 mins, until deep golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- For the custard filling, whisk milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and vanilla in a medium saucepan until smooth, put over a medium heat and cook, whisking until thick - it will become very thick. Remove from the heat, cover the surface with clingfilm and leave to cool.
- Whip 150ml cream until it forms soft peaks, whip custard until smooth, then whisk in the cream until combined, spoon into a large food bag. Put rhubarb in a shallow dish and microwave for a few minutes until tender, crush with a fork, drain off any liquid and mix with the jam.
- To assemble, slice open each profiterole, not cutting all the way through, squeeze in some custard then top with a spoonful of rhubarb. Chill until ready to serve. Melt chocolate and remaining cream in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, cool for few mins. Stack your profiteroles in a small tower, then drizzle over the warm chocolate sauce and serve.