Slimming World's leek macaroni cheese
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Slimming World's leek macaroni cheese is really simple to make taking only 20 mins in total - perfect if you're looking for a speedy, healthy supper during the midweek rush. The fresh chives and hint of mustard powder give this dish a warming flavour. You won't believe that this delicious mac 'n' cheese misses out on calories as it's bursting with plenty of flavour, just like a classic macaroni cheese recipe. This pasta bake serves 4 people making it the perfect mid-week choice for the whole family. Add some more vegetables to this dish to count towards your 5-a-day. Include veggies like spinach, asparagus, kale or tenderstem broccoli to serve.
- 500g dried macaroni
- 2 trimmed leeks, thinly sliced
- 200g quark
- 200ml boiling vegetable stock
- 1tbsp onion granules
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp mustard powder
- small handful chopped fresh chives
- 50g reduced fat Cheddar cheese, grated
If you like a bit of extra spice, add 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes to the quark mixture. For more delicious recipes or to find your nearest Slimming World group visit the Slimming World website
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, adding the leeks for the last 3 minutes of the cooking time. Drain and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Put the quark, stock, onion granules, garlic, mustard powder, chives and three-quarters of the cheese in a small pan and whisk to mix together. Heat gently until the mixture is fairly smooth and season well. Stir the sauce into the drained macaroni and leek and toss to mix well.
- Spoon the macaroni mixture into four individual heatproof dishes arranged on a baking tray (or use a shallow casserole dish). Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, season and grill for 4 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve hot with salad or vegetables of your choice.