Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Schnitzcake is a delicious spin on a German classic, Schnitzel. This recipe cooks tender pork escallops in a buttery pancake mixture. Served with fresh watercress, chopped gherkins and banana shallots, these pancake hybrids would make the perfect dinner one Pancake Day.
- 1x batch basic pancake mix
- 6 pork escallops
- 65g plain flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- ĺ tbsp olive oil
- 15g unsalted butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 1 gherkin, finely chopped or 2tbsp capers
- small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
You could try this recipe using flattened chicken breast or lamb instead
- Make up your pancake batter up to step 1 of the recipe. Beat each escallope between sheets of clingfilm using a rolling pin until itís flattened by a third. Cover in flour then dust off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. In batches, dip the escallops in the batter, set in the frying pan and pour over a little extra batter. Cook for 5-6 mins on each side or until browned and cooked through.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter with the oil, add the lemon juice, bubble for 30 seconds then add the shallot and gherkin pieces and the parsley. Heat for another 20 secounds, season well and pour over the escallops. Serve immediately.