Marmalade and ginger steamed pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 90g butter, softened
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 90g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 balls chopped stem ginger, from a jar
- 2 tbsp milk
- finely grated zest 1 orange
For the sauce:
- juice 1 orange
- 4 tbsp chunky Seville orange marmalade
- 1-2 tbsp ginger syrup, from jar
If you don't have Seville orange marmalade you could always use some of your favourite marmalade instead!
- Beat the butter and sugar with a hand-held whisk, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, slowly, then fold in the flour, baking powder, ginger, stem ginger, milk and orange zest.
- Spoon the mixture into a well-buttered 900ml pudding basin, cover with clingfilm and microwave on full power for 4 mins in an 850-watt microwave, or 3½ mins in a 900-watt microwave, until just cooked. Or you can decant into mini microwave-safe pudding basins and steam for about 1 min each for individual servings.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce; put the orange juice in a pan and bring to the boil then reduce it by half. Stir in the marmalade and ginger syrup until it melts.
- Turn the pudding out onto a plate and serve with the orange sauce spooned over and custard, cream or ice cream.