Simnel cake buns
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g light soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 125g mixed dried fruits
- grated zest 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 100g marzipan
- 2 tbsp apricot jam, melted
- 12 sugar flowers (we used ones from Waitrose)
Store these buns in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Heat oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour and mixed spice one half at a time, mixing well. Add the milk, fruit and zests, then mix again.
- Divide the mix between a greased 12-hole silicone muffin mould. Bake for 15 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the mould on a rack.
- Roll out the marzipan to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use a flower cutter to stamp out flower shapes a similar size to the cakes. Once the cakes are cool, brush each one with a little melted apricot jam and top with the marzipan and a sugar flower.
Fancy making a traditional Simnel cake? Try our classic Simnel cake recipe!