Sweet and sour sausage meatballs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 400g pack good-quality sausages
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 chicken or veg Stockpot (eg Knorr)
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp ginger paste
- 2tbsp ketchup
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1tbsp cornflour mixed with cold water
- 1/2 x 430g can pineapple chunks, drained
Instead of the sausages, use any leftover meat, or cooked or raw prawns. Add to the sauce and reheat thoroughly.
- Skin the sausages and put the meat into a bowl. Scrunch together with your hands, then form into 12-16 equal-sized meatballs. Add the oil to a non-stick frying pan and brown the meatballs, turning in the pan so they donít stick.
- Put the Stockpot in a pan with 500ml water. Bring to the boil, then add the carrot and pepper; cook for 3-4 mins until just tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the garlic, ginger, ketchup, soy, lemon juice and cornflour to the stock, stir, then bubble for a few mins until the mixture turns syrupy. Pour the sauce over the meatballs and add the veg and pineapple. Simmer for 5 mins, until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve with rice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 351(kcal)
- Fat 22.0g
- Saturates 7.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.