Roast duck with grapefruit and green bean salad
Total time:plus marinating time
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 6 duck breasts, skin scored
- 2tbsp sumac
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- zest 1 orange
- 200g green beans, topped
- 2 red grapefruit, cut into segments, any juice reserved
- 20g parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 250g Merchant Gourmet quinoa mix
- 2tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp hazelnut oil or extra virgin olive oil
Sumac is easily found in supermarkets and gives the duck a sweet flavour a bit like using 5-spice in Chinese cuisine.
- Marinate the duck in the sumac, cumin and orange zest for at least 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Sear the duck in a very hot pan, skin side down, for 4-5 mins, then transfer to the oven to cook for 7 mins. Rest for 10 mins, before slicing.
- Cook the beans in boiling water for 2-3 mins, then drain and refresh under cold water. Toss together the grapefruit, parsley, onion, quinoa and beans on a platter with the duck arranged on top. Scatter with hazelnuts and a drizzle of the reserved grapefruit juice, hazelnut oil or olive oil.