Lemon and blueberry cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our impressive lemon and blueberry cake is perfect for sharing. Make this loaf cake at the weekend for a sweet treat or save for a special occasion. The icing is made from blueberry conserve, which is why it has a lovely, pastel colour. This blueberry and lemon cake also freezes well, so you could make a couple of loaves at once, by doubling the ingredients, and pop one away for a rainy day! Simply defrost on the side over night and you'll have a freshly baked treat in next to no time - perfect with a cuppa.
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 175g self-raising flour, plus
- 1tbsp extra
- zest of 1 lemon
- 100g blueberries
For the syrup:
- 50g caster sugar
- 4tbsp lemon juice
For the icing:
- 125g icing sugar
- 1tsp blueberry conserve
- lemon juice, optional
- sugared edible flowers (or blueberries), to decorate
To ‘frost’ edible flowers, brush gently in egg white, then dip into caster sugar and leave to dry. We’ve just used fresh violas, which you can buy from any garden centre.
- Heat oven to 170C/gas 3. Grease and double line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, eggs, 175g flour and zest for 3-4 mins until light. Toss the blueberries in the extra 1tbsp flour, then fold in. Spoon into the tin, smooth the surface and bake, covered with a sheet of foil, for 40 mins. Uncover and cook for a further 10-20 mins until golden and springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the sugar and lemon juice until dissolved, bring to a boil and boil for 2 mins. Set aside.
- Spoon the syrup over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, and leave to cool for 30 mins. Remove from the tin and leave to cool completely.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, then press the conserve through the sieve, scraping it off the underside. Stir to combine, adding a little water (or lemon juice), a few drops at a time, until you have a just-runny consistency. Drizzle over the cake, leave to set for a few mins and decorate with flowers.