Sweet potato and pecan cake
Total time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 175g sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 25g self-raising flour
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 1tsp ground allspice
- 1tsp ground cinnamon, plus a pinch to decorate
- 150ml light olive oil
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 125g soft pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 125g pecans, roughly chopped, plus extra to decorate
For the frosting:
- 125g full-fat soft cheese
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g soft butter
- 3tbsp dark maple syrup
Store in an airtight tin in a cool dark place for up to 2 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
- Heat oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake tins. In a bowl, mix together all the cake ingredients with a spoon for 2 mins. Divide between the cake tins and smooth the surface with a wet spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until just springy to the touch. Remove from the oven, cool in the tins for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, stir together all the ingredients in a large bowl, then whisk with an electric mixer until light and creamy (about 5 mins). Chill for 30 mins.
- Spread half the frosting over one of the cakes, top with the second and spread with the remaining frosting. Scatter with reserved pecans and dust with a pinch of cinnamon.