Hot cross Creme Egg pudding
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Nothing says Easter better than hot cross buns, especially when they're baked in the oven with rich and gooey Creme Eggs. This delicious hot cross Creme Egg pudding is the perfect dessert for sharing on Easter Sunday and will have the whole family talking - plus, it's a great way to use up leftover hit cross buns and Creme Eggs, if there are any!
IngredientsFor this Easter recipe you will need:
- 25g butter, softened
- 9 mini hot cross buns, halved
- 3 Creme Eggs, chopped
- 3 mini Creme Eggs
For the custard:
- 250ml full-fat milk
- 100ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 2tbsp caster sugar
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven on a low heat.
- Heat the oven to 150C/gas mark 2. Lightly butter the cut side of each hot cross bun, then arrange the bottom halves in a buttered ovenproof baking dish. Scatter over the large Creme Egg pieces, then top with the remaining bun halves.
- For the custard: Heat the milk and cream in a large pan until hot, but not boiling. Stir in the vanilla extract and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and gradually pour the hot milk onto the eggs, stirring continuously until combined. Return to the pan and heat very gently, stirring all the time for about 5 mins until the custard just starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour over the buns and leave for 30 mins to allow the buns to soak up some of the custard.
- Bake for 30 mins, then scatter over the mini Creme Eggs and return to the oven for 8-10 mins, until golden and bubbling.