Homemade buckwheat granola
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
'I love to start the day off with this buckwheat granola with yogurt. The main basis of this crunchy little number is buckwheat; a nutritious gluten free grain. It has a good source of protein as well as being rich in fibre and B vitamins.' says Madeleine Shaw.
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp of chia seeds (optional)
- 1.5 tsps cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 vanilla bean pods (opened and scraped)
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
You can also take this along to work with you as a delicious yet healthy morning snack.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Place everything but the coconut oil in a bowl and stir well.
- Place the coconut oil in a large pan on a low heat and melt. Take it off the heat and pour in all the dry ingredients, stir well so everything gets covered evenly in the coconut oil.
- Place the mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven, give it a good stir, then cook for another 10 minutes.
- Make sure it comes out nice and crispy.
- Let it cool before you pop it into a jar to seal.
- Enjoy it with coconut yogurt, fresh fruit, honey or seeds on top.
Madeleine Shaw is an ambassador for the Better with BRITA campaign. For more recipes, healthy tips and videos visit www.brita.co.uk/betterwithbrita