Cauliflower, roasted chickpea, fennel and avocado salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Fennel is one of my favourite veggies, mainly because it is amazing for digestion and really helps soothe the gut. Here we are enjoying it raw but itís also great roasted. Always make sure you chew your raw veggies as they can be hard to break down. So take time with this salad and chew! This salad is perfect to make for dinner and enjoy as a pack lunch the next day. It keeps well, but maybe leave the dressing to the side so the lettuce doesnít get soggy. I also love making this one for the girls for a sunday lunch. It goes down a treat.
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tbsps coconut oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (plus extra for serving)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 2 avocados
- 1 fennel
- 2 limes
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 baby gem lettuces
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
Remember to leave aside the dressing until the portion is on your plate, so that you can keep any leftovers for lunch the next day!
- Preheat the oven to 180įC/356įF/Gas mark 4.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower. Place 1 tbsp of coconut oil into a roasting tray and pop it into the oven for 1 minute to melt. Take it out and pop the cauliflower, chilli flakes, a big pinch of salt and smoked paprika on top. Rub the spice and oil into the cauliflower so it is evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until nice and golden.
- While this is cooking, letís prepare the rest of the salad. Finely grate the fennel, then pour the juice of 1 lime on top.
- Drain and wash the chickpeas in filtered water to ensure the true flavor comes through. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan on a medium to high heat. Place the chickpeas and a pinch of salt into the pan and sautť for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Set this aside once cooked.
- Slice up the avocado and pour over some lime juice to stop browning.
- Mix the olive oil, vinegar and mustard together with a pinch of salt.
- Cut up the lettuce, place into a bowl, throw on the cauliflower, chickpeas, fennel, avocado, the dressing and some chilli flakes. Then dig in!