Warm kale, avocado, pomegranate and quinoa salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This kale salad takes kale to another level. The pomegranates give it a pop and the quinoa adds in some well needed protein. Healthy fats from the avocado keep you full add a creamy layer to this dish. Always use filtered water when cooking quinoa, or pulses or grains, to ensure they taste the best they can.
- 100g quinoa
- 50g kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions
- 3 tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil)
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp tamari (or liquid amines or soy sauce)
Remember to use filtered water for this recipe, in order to avoid that metallic, chemically taste that tap water inevitably brings!
- Rinse the quinoa in cold filtered water and drain.
- Place the quinoa in a pot and cover with enough filtered water so that it covers this to a 1/2 a cm from the top. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, add in a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper and leave to simmer with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Finely chop up the kale and after the quinoa has been cooking for 10 minutes throw it into the pot and stir well. There should be a bit more liquid left, if there isnít add a dash of water, pop the lid back on and let it cook for another 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and take off the lid, give the kale and quinoa a fluff with a fork and drizzle in olive oil.
- Cut open the pomegranate and take out the seeds, make sure you remove the pith as it doesnít taste very good.
- Zest and juice the lemon into a bowl. Slice up the avocado into chunks and throw into the lemon bowl and stir well so the avocado is coated in the juices.
- Finely slice up the spring onion and place in with the kale and quinoa and mix well.
- Place the sesame oil, garlic, tahini, apple cider and tamari in a jam jar and shake. Slowly add in 2 tbsp of filtered water to thin out the mix.
- Place the quinoa mix into a bowl, add in the avocado, pomegranates and dress with the dressing.
- I hope you enjoy this dish.
Madeleine Shaw is an ambassador for the Better with BRITA campaign. For more recipes, healthy tips and videos visit www.brita.co.uk/betterwithbrita