Sprouted amaranth porridge with grilled banana
This porridge is special, because it uses sprouted grain. Sprouted means that the grain has been soaked in filtered water over a period of time. This soaking helps remove the phytic acid that coats the grain. As a chicken has legs, grains have phytic acid. It protects them from intruders. Phytic acid is hard to digest, which explains why some people donít go so well on grains. It's super comforting and I love the added grilled banana for some extra gooeyness.
- 100g amaranth
- 1 vanilla pod
- 400ml almond milk (coconut milk or rice milk)
- 2 tbsp of honey (maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
This recipe needs planning well in advance, as the amaranth needs to be left overnight. Remember to use filtered water, so as not to end up with a chemically after-taste!
- Wash the amaranth in a sieve, then place in a bowl and cover with filtered water. Leave to soak overnight, or for 24 hours.
- In the morning or when you are ready to dig in, drain the water and place the amaranth in a pot.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape the vanilla into the pot, pour the almond milk and honey on top. Give it a stir and add a small pinch of salt.
- Pop the lid on and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to let it simmer for 20 minutes. Check that the bottom isnít sticking and add more milk if needed. Give the mix a stir and cook for a further 5 minutes, then take it off the heat and let it sit with the lid on for 5 mins.
- Place the coconut oil in a pan with the cinnamon and let this get fragrant. Slice the bananas in half and grill them in the pan for 2 minutes each side so they cook through.
- Divide the porridge into two bowls and place the banana halves on top. Finely chop the cacao nibs and sprinkle over the top, letting them melt into the porridge.
- Enjoy while still hot!
Madeleine Shaw is an ambassador for the Better with BRITA campaign. For more recipes, healthy tips and videos visit www.brita.co.uk/betterwithbrita