Creamy and comforting tomato soup
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
'I love this tomato soup because it's creamy without any dairy, sweet without any sugar and super comforting. You can serve this with some nice gluten free bread or a baked sweet potato.' says Madeleine Shaw.
- 400g ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1 tsp thyme
- 600ml fresh chicken stock (or veggie stock) made with BRITA filtered water
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes
- Chilli flakes, basil and olive oil to serve
This soup also makes a great starter, as part of a 2 or 3-course meal!
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/335°F/Gas mark 3.
- Cut the tomatoes into half, melt 3 tbsp of coconut oil and pour it over the tomatoes with a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Keep the skin on the garlic and just bash each clove slightly to release its juices.
- Place the tomatoes on a roasting tray with the garlic cloves scattered. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Just before the tomatoes are done, cut up your shallots and fry them in 1 tbsp of coconut oil with the thyme for 5 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes, fresh stock, coconut milk, cayenne, nutmeg and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cook for 15 minutes then use a hand-blender and blend until smooth, stir in some chilli flakes and top with fresh basil and olive oil.
Madeleine Shaw is an ambassador for the Better with BRITA campaign. For more recipes, healthy tips and videos visit www.brita.co.uk/betterwithbrita